Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Strange Case of Creative's X-Fi Randomly Uninstalling Itself

Flashback to January of 2012. That's when I first put my old Creative X-Fi platinum into my office PC.  Although, like most (if not all) modern Motherboards, mine had on-board audio, I still wanted to install the X-Fi. For one, I liked the fidelity. For another, I liked the break-away box I could install in the front of the case; it gave me a wider variety of connections. Stereo aux-in RCA jacks, MIDI-in and MIDI-out connectors, a quarter-inch headphone and stereo mic/line-in jacks with volume control, plus coaxial and optical S/PDIF inputs and outputs. Oh my.

I've had this setup for awhile and eagerly installed it into the new PC. Everything seemed to install fine (and due to past experiences with Creative drivers causing BSOD, this was a good thing), when, a day later, I noticed that I had no sound. Looking into Sound properties of Windows 7 I could plainly see the "speakers" output was missing. I uninstalled the X-Fi from device manager, rebooted, and everything was back. Besides my settings, of course.

And so began the vicious, frustrating cycle. Well, maybe not vicious... but definitely frustrating.

I tried to figure out what was going on to no avail. Installed the latest drivers, etc. Still from time to time (and with seemingly greater and greater frequency) a reboot would mean I was in the soundless Gulag. Granted, I got a little smarter and, instead of rebooting, I just right-clicked Sound, Video, and Game Controllers in device manager and selected Scan for Hardware Changes. This circumvented the rebooting step but still amounted to a major pain.

I gradually learned to live with it. Occasionally, I'd scour the internet in nerd rage to find some seemingly sensible answer, and time and time again I'd end up (eventually) with no sound. As time rolled on,  my attempts became fewer and fewer; my resolve less solvent. I had regulated my self to the cold, bitter winters of creative re-install land. I had given up.

So almost a year and a half later it happened again. Nothing new there. But something bubbled up within me. Perhaps because it was late. Perhaps because I was sick of being bullied by this hunk of silicon. Or maybe a little of both. I screamed, "Enough!" and decided that I was going to solve this once and for all or relegate the card (and break-away box) to the bin. Either way, I had no plans of letting this cycle continuing any further.

Well unlike my previous searches, I found more info on it. First that I was not alone. And second, it seemed to have something to do with the Creative driver (yeah, not surprised) and  having an SSD. Wow. Leave it to Creative to party like its 1998 with an outstanding driver issue on new but not so new hardware.

 I worked through every post on the Creative thread. All 560 of them. Within were a lot well meaning community provided answers which included different drivers, different uninstall procedures, and even programs to change the driver load order. Nothing worked. I thought I'd try one last thing, and then throw the white flag. I figured I'd move the windows swap file from its place on the SSD to one of my mechanical HDD data drives. I don't know what made me think of that -- probably because it was 4am -- but I figured why not. So I moved the swap file from my SSD to my mechanical HDD.

You know what? It worked. It's been two weeks and nary a re-install in Creative land. I've been basking in the warm glow of constant sound since.

Any repercussions to moving the swap you might ask? I don't think so. If anything, it will prolong the the life of your SSD drive (although the amount might not be too significant). Some people even suggest running without one with machines that contain large amounts of physical RAM -- though I didn't want to do that.

So without further ado, here is a step-by-step of changing your swap file location. I won't be going over how to uninstall/install the creative driver. If you are here, you know how to do that oh too well. And because I never. Want to. Do that. Again. Not even in my mind's eye.


  1. Install the Creative Drivers so they are installed and working. I'm using the SBXF_PCDRV_L11_2_18_0015A drivers for Windows 64-bit.
  2. Click on the Win 7 Orb -> Right-click Computer -> Properties...
  3. In the left pane, click the Advanced Settings link.
  4. Choose the Advanced tab, and in the Performance group box click the Settings... button.
  5. In the Performance Options dialog, select the Advanced tab. Click the Change... button located in the Virtual Memory group box.
  6. This is where the magic happens. (1)Uncheck the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box. Select your C drive from the list box (pictured). (2)Select the no paging file radio button. (3)Click the Set button.
  7. Still in the Virtual Memory dialog, select the mechanical HDD you have (in my case, E). Select the System managed size radio button. Click the Set button.
  8. Click Ok 3 times to dismiss all the dialogs. Reboot your machine and enjoy not reinstalling those freaking drivers and trying solutions as, Brian Fantana would say, "60% of the time works everytime."

22 comments:

  1. I tried this a while back and it did seem to help, but the problem is still fairly common. I din't use the system managed setting though,since it takes up so much space. I used manual and set it to about 5GB, so I willl try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you best of luck in every sense of the word... I know how frustrating it is. For the record, still haven't lost the sound... so far so good!
    Perhaps when you tried it was with older drivers? Maybe give it a shot with the newest drivers and see? And then with system managed?

    Either way, best of luck and let me know if there is anything I can check to compare on my system to help you out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SSD - Turn on the Prefetch (Bootfetching only) and Turn off the Superfetch
    HDD - Turn on the Prefetch and Superfetch

    Everything is OK!

    Try~!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, worth a shot... thanks for the post!

    Just realized I've been "disappearing x-fi" free for about a month. Which beats my own personal record by a month :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not worth a shot..
    It's real solution for Sound dissapears on sytem startup (SSD related)!!

    I can't post thread on Creative Forums.
    Instead, I hope you.

    My name is S.H Jang
    I'm From South Korea.
    Sorry for my English.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! No your English sounds fine to me... :o)

    "Worth a shot" just means that I think it should be tried. I definitely consider it a real solution.

    One thing I have noticed is that this situation is caused by, apparently, a lot of different problems. Some of the solutions on Creative's forums worked for some people (changing the order drivers are loaded, etc.) but it didn't work for me. In my case, the one I posted here was the solution. But I think yours will help others still... and I'll definitely keep in mind if the one posted here quits working (or if I get a chance to try it out)!!! Thanks S.H. Jang!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, this does seem to be working, but, the settings keep going back to their defaults after a while, such as setting the speakers to 7.1 in the Creative Audio Control Panel,the surround and crystalizer settings.Do you encounter this issue as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sorry for taking so long to reply! I remember that happening in the past, but I don't think it's happened lately. I'll keep my eye out and post back if I notice it. What version of the Control Panel are you using?

      Delete
  8. Thanks a lot! It's really work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday soundblaster crushed down again...
      Since 27 november everything was o.k.
      Fucking Creative...

      Delete
    2. Sorry to hear that! I wonder why..? Mine have been "uninstall free" since 7/13 so I'm thinking this is indeed the solution to my problem but... this is some buggy stuff and there are other solutions that have fixed this issue for others (AKA there is the same problem apparently caused by multiple sources). I'd be happy to compare driver versions with you if you'd like and see if maybe a complete uninstall of the drivers (and potential install of the same version) followed by the above solution might work.

      You also might want to try another solution. From S.H. Jang's comments above:

      "SSD - Turn on the Prefetch (Bootfetching only) and Turn off the Superfetch
      HDD - Turn on the Prefetch and SuperFetch"

      Delete
    3. "SSD - Turn on the Prefetch (Bootfetching only) and Turn off the Superfetch
      HDD - Turn on the Prefetch and SuperFetch"

      These options was turned on 27 november...

      Delete
    4. Hello. So just to get things straight... you moved the swap file as directed in this article and turned off superfetch on the ssd (Bootfetching enabled only)?

      Honestly, on my machine I just did what was listed in this article. I left fetching as is.

      Delete
    5. As you wrote, I moved the swap file from SSD to mechanical HDD.
      SSD - Prefetcher and Superphetcher was turned OFF!
      Today Soundblaster crushed down again/

      Delete
    6. Sorry to hear about your trouble.When you say that it crashed, do you mean it crashed, or that it has gone missing from device manager? If it is actually crashing you might have a different problem, and I'd recommend contacting creative.

      If it is the disappearing issue...

      I'm currently using creative driver 6.0.1.1375. If you are on a different version, maybe you would want to try that? If I were you I'd uninstall all things creative. Then, find a tool like driver sweeper and clean out any remnants. Then I'd reinstall this driver and see how my luck went.

      That's what I'd do, but it's up to you as messing with these things can always make things worse -- so use caution -- but whatever you choose to do, best of luck!

      Delete
  9. Scott, you are a life saver. Thanks SOOOO much for your dead-tired 4AM insight that saved me having to throw away my card too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Phil,

      Excelllent! You will notice for a little while that you will still, out of habit, check your sound settings to see if you are stuck with the dreaded digital out only... but that too shall subside. ;o) If you know any other Creative users, spread the word!

      Delete
  10. almost 1 years plus i haven't found solution for this problem. tq very much. your solution works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's 2017, almost four years after your post and it seems like this is still the only working solution to solve a few problems with Sound Blaster cards.
    I was almost getting rid of my Sound Blaster ZX when I read this page.

    Thank you Scott! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! I'm glad you were able to find the post and it was able to help you. That makes it worth it!!! All the best.

      Delete

I want to hear what you think! Don't be shy, comment today.

NOTE: To combat spam, I'm moderating the comments. Rest assured, however, that I will publish them. Even if you are commenting to say I'm a big dumb idiot. Providing you do so in a civilized manner and it is on topic, of course. :o)